Saturday, 20 September 2008

CCK08 - Week 2 - Learning connections like a rhizome?

CCK08 course has proposed us, in this second week, an article on Rhizomatic Education, by Dave Cormier.

While reading the article (on my Mac), I used Google to search "rhizoma" and "rhizomatic", then I followed some links that seemed to be interesting.
Thus, starting from an article on a Learning theory, I learned:
- some botanical notions (types of stems and roots),
- some philosophical notions, for example that Gilles Deleuze and FĂ©lix Guattari used the term "rhizome" to describe theory and research that allows for multiple, non-hierarchical entry and exit points in data representation and interpretation (Wikipedia),
- some notions on the Guattari's theories on "schizo-analysis".
And I have developed an interest to learn more on such fields.

It's a confirmation that often the learning process is not linear (as the arborescent - single trunk - stem of a plant) but more similar to a rhizome stem (like Iris and Ginger):


I found also an article (in Italian) that - starting from the incorrect idea that rhizome is a kind of root (it's a kind of stem) - proposes an interesting comparison between superficial development (like the one of rhizome) and in-depth development (like the one of taproots). The author quotes Michael Tournier’s "Friday":
“It is a strange prejudice which sets a higher value on depth than on breadth, and which accepts ’superficial’ as meaning not ‘of wide extent’ but ‘of little depth,’ whereas ‘deep,’ on the other hand, signifies ‘of great depth,’ and not ‘of small surface.’.”

A part from the botanical mistake: interesting concept concerning learning (and teaching). I'll return on it.

4 comments:

emanuela said...

I'is interesting your research about the difference between breadth and depth of rhizome against root. I look forward to your considerations. I have a personal one, I'll say it after yours.
ciao
mela

Matthias Melcher said...

@Teacker,
your feed's address in Stephen's database is wrong. It has the HTML address in the XML address field.

Sia said...

Thank you Pierfranco for visiting my weblog. I don't have much to say about Connectivism so far, to difficult, but never to old to learn isn't it. I learn trough reading the formal publications of the course, blogs now and then, listening to the Elluminate and Ustreamdiscussions, follow partial the moodlediscussions and am very glad to do so. Greetz, Sia Vogel

pierfranco ravotto said...

Hi all
thanks to Matthias for his technical help and to Manuela and Sia for their comments.
Also Dave Cormier and Mark Childs have answered me in the Moodle of the course(http://ltc.umanitoba.ca:83/moodle/mod/forum/post.php?reply=4424).
I have promised: "I'll return on it". I'll do it.